Re: crazy season

I'd forgotten all about Iceland poppies. And they remind me of coral bells--for some reason. Don't see either here. Also, don't see any of the really nice F1 petunias we had in California, some in pastel colors; some with flowers the size of coffee-cup saucers.

I think of stocks as funeral parlor flowers. With gladiolus, they are the mainstay of funeral blankets and wreaths--I suppose because both can be neglected for a few days without noticeably deteriorating.

And that calls to mind that the first job I had, at about age 10, was with a gladiolus grower. He sold the flowers to the florist trade during the spring-summer, then dug the corms and processed them for the nursery trade. My job, along with several other persons, was to pry the root sections from corms [we used church keys for this delicate operation] and then package the corms in cellophane bags with moth crystals. Very tedious, but at 50 cents an hour [my parental allowance was 5 cents a week], it was big time pay.