Re: ice storms

That's funny. My mother called them "spit baths" also. My first MIL, however, called them "PTA baths."

On Dec 12, 2007, at 2:54 PM, Jesse Bell wrote:

Oh..I remember the out house at my grandparents farm. That house had no
indoor plumbing until my mother went to college...so the
bathroom/washer-dryer room was a large pantry converted. My grandmother
would still keep hot water on the stove during the winter..just in case.
We kept lots of pots of water on our stove to take a "spit bath" as my
grandmother called it. But it was not warm enough to take a BATH
in...just warm enought to dip a washcloth in. We closed off the rest of
the house to keep the center of the house warm. Going to the bathrooms
became a very FAST event so you didn't feeze to death. Brrrr.

Daryl <pulis@mindspring.com> wrote:
  Makes you wonder how our grandmothers survived, doesn't it?

Can you keep a kettle of water on top of the stove? That's how I remember
getting hot water at my grandmother's. For baths, she'd let it get to
boiling, run cold water in the tub and add enough hot to make it warm enough to bathe. About half a kettle to an inch of water was about right, I think.

We got a generator many years ago so that when the power was out, we'd have
water and heat. Nothing like having a well to make you appreciate
electricity!

Glad you're all safe.