Re: Advice-totally off topic

Thanks everyone for the advice and stories of others. I will re-read them as I consider all of this. My Dad and Stepmother are visiting at the moment and I'm sure we'll sit down and discuss this as I value their opinions. My therapist says make sure you go into this with your eyes wide open. I know I can't really imagine how life changing it will be. I am glad for my years of therapy as I think it will be priceless for myself and whomever I foster if I decide to do this. One of my friends has three adopted children and she told me a story about one of their former foster kids who ran away because she felt guilty for being so happy and comfortable when her own mother was in jail. Point being you never know what to expect from these children. Anyway-thanks again all-I've contact our local services JUST for information as again I've got to get more financially ready. If I decide to do this I'm hoping that by this time next year I'll at least be fostering.
I'll keep you all posted!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa G." <macycat3@sbcglobal.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 11:46 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Advice-totally off topic

All good advice for sure.  I'm seen some foster and adoptions that turn
out wonderful, and others that are a complete disaster for all
involved.  I think it is important to NOT have a specific expectation of
what it will be like- you are bound to be disappointed if you think you
can make certain things happen, turn out a certain way, or fix damage
done in the past.  Time and/or love does not cure all ills- certainly
can help, and some kids are amazingly resilient. Someone else mentioned
FAS as a problem, and certainly you will want to know alot about a
child's development and functioning as well as any major risk factors
before you decide to bring a specific child into your home.  The purpose
of psychological assessments prior to adoption is to ensure that there
is enough information available about the child to ensure a good match
and increase chances of success.  Some adults can manage situations that
others cannot- that is just reality, so it is also important to know
yourself and be realistic.  I think that fact that you are even
considering this speaks volumes about your dedication and commitment.
Just take your time and don't skip any steps in the process!  My best to
you.
Theresa

Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:
Andrea, first of all, I have great respect for your decision to adopt
a child.  That is a very admirable and generous step.  My only
advice is that you must realize that any child, whether born to
you or adopted, will be an individual, and should be given the
respect of such.  Adopted children may be more difficult that our
own birth children, or less.  Any teenager can be extremely difficult
to live with, even without meaning to be so.  Even the best of them
can give you much grief and heartache.  My three sons have each
turned out well, finally, and in different ways, but their adolescent
years were the most difficult of my life. Just realize, as you go into
this project, that all your love and good intentions will not guarantee
the outcome you desire.  I wish you all the best in this undertaking.
Auralie

In a message dated 12/29/2008 2:24:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,