Re: Looking for guinea pigs

I tried to sign up, and my request was returned with the following message: The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -- <majordomo@hortnet> (reason: 550 Host unknown)
On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 01:51 PM, Christopher P. Lindsey wrote:

Hi guys,

   I'm pretty close to unveiling a new feature of hort.net and am
   looking for guinea pigs.

   As part of an effort to make the hort.net mailing lists more
   cohesive and easier to navigate, I've created a new interface
   to the various lists.  Basically, this means that you can read
   your gardenchat, perennials, ferns (and the list of hort.net
   lists goes on) mail from a news reader instead of your email

   There are many benefits to this scheme:

      1.  You can easily view messages in any format: threaded,
          by date, author, etc.

      2.  You only view the subjects of the messages, then click
          on the ones that you want to view.  It saves us both
          bandwidth and download time.

      3.  The news archive is kept indefinitely, so you don't have to
          worry about missing messages if you're out of town or have
          a small mailbox that might bounce if you're over quota

      4.  Since people view messages when they want to instead of
          having us send them all out at once, it distributes our
          bandwidth usage more evenly (which is a good thing).  It
          saves hort.net money (we pay much more than you probably
          think for our bandwidth right now)

   Anyhow, I'm looking for people who would be willing to try this.
   Before I start giving access to people I'd like to have some
   discussions about the way that I'm setting things up.  I have
   some ideas, but I want to make sure that they're all OK with everyone
   before I program it all in.

   OK, the meat of this message...  If you're interested in being a beta
   tester and/or being involved in the decision-making process, send
   an email to

   with the body of your message containing the single line

      subscribe admin-nntp

   You'll get a confirmation message back; just reply to it and you'll
   be signed up!  We'll use that list to talk about stuff.