Re: renaming plants

Well, I'll tell ya' guys, I don't think the taxonomists are done with
us by any means.  They are having a ball.

What I have gathered is that even changes like Coleus/Solenostemon
may never become the norm for nurseries or gardeners...I do not think
Coleus is going away anymore than Chrysanthemum did.

One of the interesting things about plant nomenclature is that when
taxonomists submit their findings and propose changes, those changes
can be either rejected or returned to what they were before simply
because the general public will not accept them..this is what, I
gather, happened with Chrysanthemum.

Taxonomy is only a way of looking at groups of plants and trying to
pin down their identity so that humans can be sure they are talking
about the same actual plant.  Taxonomists do not always agree with
each other - there are the 'lumpers' and 'splitters', for instance,
who have very "lively" conversations about just where plants
belong....they all have their own ideas. We do not have to accept
them, either:-)

On a serious vein, the changes that happen, occur because more
information is available...not just on a whim.  Some of it is so
obscure that it only means something to a taxonomist and will never
really affect general gardeners who will call plants what they have
learned to call them and/or can be convinced to call them:-)  It does
make it interesting, however, for those of us who try to keep up with
them and are trying to make sure we *are* talking about the same

Don't get me started on this patent and marketing name nonsense...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Kitty Morrissy <kmrsy@earthlink.net>
> Claire, re:
> > Here is another taxonomy change coming if our catalogs and
nurseries will
> > accept it.  The common and pretty container plant, Coleus blumei,
> > taxonomically correct as
> > Solenostemon scutellaroides.  Perhaps a rebellion will stop this,
> is
> > so integrated into the gardening world.  Sometime ago the
> tribe
> > was split into several other genera with Chrysanthemum
disappearing.  Now