Re: Re: water meters

In a message dated 02/13/2003 3:55:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kmrsy@earthlink.net writes:

> Yes we are fortunate here.  We get a good amount of rain and water from the
> Great Lakes I believe is piped down here, too.

Here in the midst of the great metropolitan sprawl, 40 miles north of New
York City, we have neither public water nor sewage.  We are very fortunate
that our well supplies good water - neighbors on either side have less good
water from their wells, and a couple of them have water brought in.  With
last summer's drought we were afraid we would be out of water, but though we
had some grit, we never dried up.  However, we would not think of using a
hose to water the garden.  In the worst dry spells I carry buckets until my
back breaks, but at least that is better for the pump than  running the hose.
 To top it all, we are charged a "water tax" each year when we pay our local
property tax.  It isn't a lot - about $150/year.  The first few years we
lived here I protested, but was always told "maybe someday the town will put
water up your road, so you have to pay the tax." Of course they never will,
but I finally decided life was too short to get all het up about something I
was never going to win. But in 33 years we have paid quite a bit of money.