Re: Fwd: Price of Gas; Now Duct Tape

Well - and I'll probably offend the other half of the list, David,
but, being a cynical old bod, who also lives 20 miles as the crow
flies from the main source of natural gas in the US (i.e. the White
House/Capitol Hill), IMO all this scare tactic stuff is designed to
move people into support of policies that are, at best, dubious, and
which have zero support in the rest of the civilized world.

Terrorism exists.  The rest of the world has lived with it in some
form or another since W.W.II (or for centuries; even since the
beginning of recorded civilization).  We have been sheltered in the
US.  I have no doubt that some other attempts at terrorism will take
place in this country at some time, despite the Gestapo-like laws
that are being attached as riders to assorted budget bills (they'd
never survive open floor debate).

However, this country has a huge land mass.  Even the most organized
and highly financed terrorist group on the planet could not hit
everywhere in the entire country at one time....so why put the entire
population in panic mode - out buying stuff they have no clue how to
use effectively against some unknown foe who is possibly going to do
something unknown at an unknown time and place. Maybe it is a subtle
and twisted way to improve the economy:-)

Even if some group slips past our numerous and costly assorted
government agencies in charge of security, their goal would be high
numbers and those are only found in major urban areas, so anybody in
a small town upwind of a major city has more chance of getting hit by
a car crossing the street than suffering from a terrorist attack.  In
fact, even those of us living in areas that present lovely targets
need to simply get on with life and worry about what we need to worry
about, which does not include going into panic mode about terrorist
attacks.  Remember the story about Chicken Little...

Don't get me started on what is happening to our environmental
protection policies...that really WILL offend the remainder of the

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :