Re: war

I was a soldier (albeit a nurse - one who deals directly with the effects of war on the soldier) for 30 years (might end up one again, as retirees are subject to recall until age 65). My father was a soldier for 20 years (an armor officer), so I have had plenty of contact with the military - of all ranks and specialties. Believe me, soldiers see war up close and personal and I don't know a class of people that is less bloodthirsty (there are exceptions, of course, but every group has its weirdos). The generals are far more reluctant to commit troops to combat than is our Congress - very few of whom have ever served in the military. In military "table top" exercises involving use of nuclears, it has been found time and again that civilians involved are far readier to use those weapons than the military participants.

On Saturday, February 15, 2003, at 01:27 AM, Marge Talt wrote:
Now, I have always held the theory (sure to offend someone) -
speaking of modern societies here - that if the generals and
commanders in chief had to lead the actual battle on foot and then
eat the resulting dead raw, we'd have an end to modern war in a very
short time.   But, since those guys stay at home (or at command
center; far from the real action) in comfy chairs, allocating
'resources' and playing with their toys, while the youth of nations
get blasted away, they will continue to think that war is a viable
solution to whatever mess they have gotten into at the moment.
Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

From: David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net>

Yeah I spoke too soon yesterday.  I paid $1.89 for regular today.
In the city
it's now closer to $2.20.  You know if I thought that some of that
money was
going into research for alternative fuels I wouldn't mind it so
much.  But, it's

Now tell me:  Would people sacrifice their young men and women and
innocent civilians to fight a war over a dwindling resource that
poisons the
earth?  People would!  (Supposed to sound like the old Chevron
 Eva and others near potential ground zero if it wasn't for the oil
and our
insatiable appetite for same, those ladies and gentlemen who are
willing to kill
off their own for retribution against us wouldn't have a cause.
Not only would
they not have a cause they wouldn't have the money to fund their
cause.  There
is the issue of Israel but without oil revenue they would have very
recourse.  You can't tell me that this country, in the 21st
century, can't find
an alternative resource that is viable, cost efficient and has
limited impact on
the environment.  I don't believe it!  There is simply too much
money at stake
to change the status quo and frankly the status quo will be the
death of
us...prayer or no!