RE: birds, daylilies and snow

Marge and all,

We have the same birds as you., except maybe chimney swifts, red-eyed
verio, rose breasted grosbeak  and turkey vultures.  I see the red
winged blackbirds in fields nearby, but not in my back yard.  Last year
I got to see an oriole's nest at school for the first time.  I have yet
to see a blue bird!  Living on the water, we get all the water foul as
well- loons, great blue herons, little blue herons, great and snowy
egrets, black crowned night herons, swans, geese, scaups, buffleheads,
mergansers, mallards, sandpipers, terns,  plovers, kingfishers, and
osprey (nearby).  I'm not really a birder, so I'd don't know how to tell
all the different gulls ,for instance, apart!!!  I'm so lucky to have
all this just outside my backdoor!!!

We have an 850' driveway, so yesterday (late afternoon) I waded in knee
deep snow with the snow still coming down, to the road and flagged down
a snow plow!  We live on a neck of land jutting out into the Long Island
sound, so there's only one narrow road going in and out! They keep the
road cleared as there is a coastguard station, firehouse and a lot of
homes out on the neck.  All those people got stranded there for days
when we had a bad nor'easter a few years back.  Actually, we all had to
leave, but that's another story!

Luckily, I'm off this week as I teach and this is our February break.
They planned this week right!   I've been ordering daylilies for a new
bed.  With the thousands of varieties available, it's no easy task.
I've learned a lot belonging to the American Hemerocallis Society and a
local club.  I already have close to 200 varieties.  I want to add a
spider daylily bed.  I have to plan what other bulbs and perennials I
want to put there.  I probably will have to stick to lower growing
things as I plan to border a walkway where I don't want to block the

Has anyone written about perennials in sun?  I have to do an article
about companion plants for daylilies for our club newsletter. I'd like
to read some other people's articles to give me an idea on how to
approach the subject.  I have to figure out how to narrow the topic.

Bye for now,

Long Island, NY
Zone 7