RE: birds, daylilies and snow

I plan on planting lots of bulbs, spring and summer flowering.  I'll
have to be careful with the heights on the liliums, but I may make the
"center" of the bed, which is actually the corner of an L, a bit taller.
Most of my beds are mixed perennials right now.  I throw in some annuals
like coleus and interesting salvias as well. No impatiens here! I do
grow a variegated begonia or two and have a pot of geraniums that I keep
from year to year in memory of my mother.  She always brought these guys
inside and they bloomed like crazy all winter.  I took cuttings of her
original plants and keep a large pot growing inside all winter - then
out it goes onto my deck when the weather warms up.

Long Island, NY
Zone 7