Re: birds and other critters

Actually, I suspect that it is for the same reason that dogs raid cat litter boxes - protein content. (Cats are obligate carnivores and their excrement contains lots of protein. As for the attraction to poop of their own species, I expect it has something to do with territoriality - they want to identify encroachers on their turf.
Cathy
On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 06:35 AM, Pamela J. Evans wrote:

Really Marge - what is up w/ that? I know dogs have a keen sense of
smell, so how can they stand it? In that respect, cats have better
sense, or at least mine does.

:-)

From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
Date:  Wed, 19 Feb 2003 01:53:55 -0500

Now, that's a LAKE, Maria!  Lordy!  I would love to live near that
size body of water and be able to see all those waterfowl...how lucky
you are.  There are bald eagles nesting on the lower Potomac River,
but I have not seen one - now, that is a majestic bird.

Why is it that dogs are so attracted to, ahem, poop and rotting
items?  Seems the more odoriferous something is the more they love
it....

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
From: Maria Olshin <marolsh@ptd.net>

The lake here is 315 acres, and lots of migratory waterfowl stop
here. I've
seen ruddy duck, buffleheads, goldeneyes, mergansers and
cormorants, among
others, but the most exciting sighting was a flock of loons. I
counted 38 of
them! There are also great blue and green herons and kingfishers. I
occasionally see rose-breasted grosbeaks at my feeder, and just
once, an
indigo bunting. I've also seen quite a few eastern bluebirds in NE
PA, but
not at this elevation. There are bald eagles in the area, too.
Auralie, have
you ever heard that there are peregrines nesting on the George
Washington
Bridge? I think they live quite well on the pigeons in NYC.

There is a rapidly growing population of resident Canadas here, and
the
Animal Control officer finds as many nests as he can in the spring
and
shakes the eggs vigorously, then puts them back. It prevents the
parents
from laying more eggs to replace broken or stolen ones.
Unfortunately, he
misses more than he finds. It wouldn't be so bad if I only had to
watch my
step in the yard, but my dog has goose poop radar, and she's on it
like
white on rice. Groshem as they never

--
Pam Evans