Re: Fw: Re: new purchases

You're most welcome, Kitty...

I can't see why Cyclamen won't grow for you - people are growing them
successfully all over the place.  Ellen Hornig grows them in the
ground in z 4 NY state!  She has good snow cover, but you're not that
far north.  If the tubers you get are very tiny (dime size or so),
might be a good idea to grow them on in pots for a season or two
before you set them out in the garden.  Some have said that the
tubers need to be larger to have a chance of success.  I cannot swear
to this tho' I did managed to kill some tiny ones I set out years
ago, but I let those dry out too much.  My seed grown tubers varied
in size from about a nickel to a quarter when they went into the
garden and they seem to be holding their own.

Also, watch out for squirrels who love them.  I have mulched one bed
with pea gravel, which seems to work and on another I also added a
highly undecorative bit of that heavy green plastic mesh fencing,
laying flat on the ground (they grow up through it), which I think I
will take up this year as they seem to have left the bed with just
gravel alone.  But, if you don't protect them and have squirrels or
chippers, they will dig them up and eat some.

The first lot of super foliage ones I got from Ellen Hornig, I
planted in amongst smallish assorted size rocks to protect the tubers
from squirrels and the durn critters got several anyway.  Was
determined they weren't gonna get my seed grown children!!!

If your soil tends toward clay, add some grit when you plant to
ensure good drainage around the tubers or plant on a slight slope -
anything to keep water from standing around them, esp. in winter.

Could very well be your peony will have white fruit.  Think the
'japonica' is variable and probably ought to have a more certain
name, but I got mine under that name, too...seems sorta generic to
me, but what do I know?  Be interesting to see.  I, too, love the
foliage and, unlike my regular peonies, this woodland child's leaves
stay very nice all season...the other ones turn brown and icky by end
of summer; always have, despite everything I have tried, so I just
let them and bag it at the end of the season.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
> From: Kitty <kmrsy@earthlink.net>
> Marge,
> Thanks for your comments. These will be my first Cyclamens - the
hort ed
> says they won't make it here and I want to see if I can prove him
> The two peonies are both shade species. These have been on my wish
> for several years. I am really looking forward to them. I checked
> your pictures, quite nice. Though you indicate the flower doesn't
> long, I don't mind too much. I have always loved peony foliage.
> just took the common name (White-fruited) off the internet. Don't
> the color.
> Viburnum 'Onondaga' has also been on my wish list for several
years.  This year I just figured it's time.
> I'll keep your cultivation comments on hand for when they arrive in
a couple of months.  Thanks.