Re: birds and other critters

I am fortunate enough to know how wonderful it is to have a pond. We
regularly see a Great Blue heron and kingfishers in season and have had
several different kinds of ducks at various times including wood ducks
actually nesting in the wood duck box. Most of the time the box is inhabited
by sparrows and the like. The pond  also attracts deer and raccoons and a
pair of coyotes which we enjoy but also, muskrats! The conservation people
say if we would get rid of the cattails the muskrats might move on. But the
red winged blackbirds love to nest in them. the muskrats have so riddled the
banks with tunnels that we are having a problem keeping water in it. It was
originally dug with the help of state conservation money to attract migratory
waterfowl so the pond is only  3-4 ft deep. I still love it even when it's
half empty. And I pump water from it for the gardens and greenhouse when I
run out of collected water midsummer. But most of all I love it for spreading
the one clump of iris pseudacorus to every corner of the pond (that isn't
choked with cattails). All in all, a pond is a good thing! Kathyz5