Re: [Master_Gardeners] Kniola's What?

Barb,Thanks for taking the effort to type all that.  And now I remember
reading it, too.  Just hadn't retained the info.  Unfortunately, we
ordered our seed for the display gardens' Patio from T&M and it is called
'Kniola's Black Knight'.  Oh well.    But I'm still sort of left with the
dilemma.  If Mr. Kniola only wants his name on the Hudson seed, perhaps I
should just list this variety as Ipomoea purpurea 'Black Knight'  What do
you think? Kitty

  ----- Original Message ----- From: Barbara O'ConnorTo:
  Master_Gardeners@yahoogroups.comSent: 2/23/2003 4:07:13 PM Subject:
  Re: [Master_Gardeners] Kniola's What?
  When I read your question I didn't think I had an answer but I was
  catching up on my magazines from around the time of the holidays and
  there, in a letter to the editor, was the answer written by Edward
  Kniola in Horticulture magazine. He says in a letter entitled "The
  Real Kniola" After reading the article "Fine Twiners" in your
  July/August 2002 issue and finding that Ipomoea purpurea 'Kniola's
  Black' was listed, I felt compelled to contact you with the story
  behind it. Back in the early 1980's, I found a very dark purple
  morning glory on an old farm not far from my home here in Indiana.
  Whether it's a naturally occurring variety of I. purpurea or an
  escaped  named cultivar once grown on the farm, I have no idea. I
  then grew it myself for several years, and since the color was
  stable, I contacted J.L. Hudson of La Honda, Ca. and they've been
  offering it since around 1989 under the name 'Kniola's Purple-Black'.
  However, in recent years, a number of morning glories have appeared
  in other catalogs with my name associated with them. I don't really
  mind, but the problem is that many of them do not exhibit the color
  of the variety that I grow. For the record, 'Kniola's Purple-Black'
  has very dark purple flowers, and I sell the seed exclusively to J.L.
  Hudson. Hope that helps you! Barb