Re: tsuga

Kitty wrote:
I have read that Eastern Hemlock can be tempermental and that it
requires some shade, but I thought that since you and I are in similar
climate, they'd be easy for you. Mine have been planted in amended clay
soil and mulched. However, the ones on the Extension Office Grounds are
planted in heavy clay, no protection, and seem to do just fine, too.
They definitely take some TLC until they're established here or else they'll dry out and die. Once they've been in the ground for a while they're pretty tough and can handle drought quite well.

The West side of my backyard is ringed by mature Tsuga canadensis that perform beautifully, but I lost two new ones last year because I didn't water them enough during the drought.