Re: What's Blooming

If you have an Asian food store, you can always find them canned - fresh ones are tough to get in all but the biggest markets.
On Thursday, February 5, 2004, at 03:45 AM, Melody wrote:

I don't even think this fruit is sold here where I live...this list is
the only place I've ever even heard of it. Sounds good though! I don't
suppose it's possible to grow one of these indoors, is it?

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein

 --- On Mon 02/02, james singer < jsinger@igc.org > wrote:
From: james singer [mailto: jsinger@igc.org]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:53:41 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] What's Blooming

Asian subtropical fruit. About the size of a golf ball. Leathery skin
size of the fruit varies by cultivar. Mine are about the <br>size of
golf balls. Last spring, I went down to Pine Island and <br>purchased
fruit from three different cultivars--two about the same size <br>as
mine and one smaller, about the size of a jawbreaker. As I recall,
trees. They are handsome and small [mine's less <br>than 8 feet tall],
with glossy, dark green leaves. They produce fruit <br>in "bunches,"
much like a palm produces dates, so one can lop off a <br>single stem
and get, maybe, a couple of dozen fruits. And, unlike <br>dates, lychees
on a single stem all ripen at the same time, which is <br>why they are
2004, at 06:19 AM, Melody wrote:<br><br>> Good morning, Jim! Well, here
nothing is blooming, of course...it's<br>> still the dead of winter and
we've got snow all over the place...I'm<br>> waiting to hear from Ceres
to see if the Des Moines area got the<br>> projected 10 inches of snow
they were predicting last night...here it's<br>> raining ice! Should be
a treacherous drive home in another couple of<br>> hours...yuck! Will be
time to get the rosary out and start praying like<br>> mad! So...what is
a lychee again? I know you've probably explained this<br>> to us before,
Melody, IA (Z 5/4)<br>><br>> "The most beautiful thing we can experience
james singer < jsinger@igc.org > wrote:<br>> From: james singer [mailto:
jsinger@igc.org]<br>> To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004
yesterday was really Let's See What's Bloomin

g Sunday rather than<br>> <br>Super Bowl Sunday. I managed to get off
too. The avocado and the mangos are<br>> loaded <br>with flower buds
[neither quite open]. I was hoping that the<br>> lychee <br>would be
hellebore<br>> today too! Mine is white, one bud and one<br>> bloom
blooming and a lovely anemone. Oh, and 1 <br>> snowdrop. A<br>>
whole<br>> bunch of my bulbs are coming up now, and I noticed that my
owner-gardenchat@hort.net<br>> [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On<br>>
Behalf Of Zemuly@aol.com<br>><br>> Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 3:56
this<br>> afternoon and was delighted to<br>> note on of my "baby"

------------------<br>Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund <br>>
http://www.excite.com<br>> The most personalized portal on the