From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2004 11:17 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] early arrivals - tree peonies

> WOW!  Already sprouting?
Yeah, that can happen with bareroot storage, I suppose.  Like when I store
Dahlia tubers in my garage, if it's been a warm winter or early spring,
they'll begin to sprout too early because the temperature is not controlled
to their storage requirement.  I would expect that Netherland Bulb stored
these at the appropriate bareroot temp, but they broke dormancy for some
reason, whether planned or not.

I'd like these to get a good root system on them before we try to sell them,
so I'm not sure I'd want them putting energy into blooms this spring -
perhaps they should be removed if they do?  Any thoughts on that?