Re: what's everyone ordering?

>  I may sacrifice some of the perennials and spray with Round-up.
> I will dig out what I can first.  It's also got lots of self-seeders,
> runners and some poison ivy growing there, but it's got good bones.

Chris,
When I moved here in 1985or 6, I wasn't a gardener yet.  Behind the small,
rotting, falling-down shed was a plot of weeds 5 feet high.  We just sort of
steered clear of it.  We guessed it must have been an abandoned vegetable
garden.

A few years went by and the shed got torn down.  I started thinking that I
might like to grow plants and decided first-things-first.  Get rid of the
mess.  Whether it was available back then, I don't know, but we hadn't heard
of round-up.  So it was mostly hand-pulling.  My husband got an old tiller
to try to turn what was left of it, but the tiller itself, wouldn't turn!
So he went a fair amount further on than he'd planned. Anyway, even after
much neglect and filled with eye-high Canada Thistle and Bindweed and who
knows what else, this little plot turned out to have some nice soil.  That
summer I solarized it (I was reading everything I could lay my hands on!)
and it became my holding bed the next year.  Over the succeeding years I
tackled various portions of the yard and found that a holding bed was very
handy for all those plants I didn't yet have a prepared place for.

Kitty