Re: Zone 10

Thanks for the list. I'll go back to Darrell's list and take a peek.

Yep, zone 10 here. Good things and bad things about zone 10. Good things are I can grow orchids, begonias, sweetsops, and avocados outside--not to mention mangos, lychees, guavas, bananas, and so on. Bad things are most plants northerners value and talk about won't grow here. I spend a lot of time at the nursery counseling folks from the north about the differences between here and there. It's a lot more than "palm verses ash," but that's always a good place to start.

On Saturday, February 14, 2004, at 06:22 PM, Kitty wrote:

Jim, I got three of my Epimediums from Darrell Probst and two from Plant
Pics - the people who used to own Shady Oaks . These are what I have:

Epimedium pinnatum ssp. colchicum
Epimedium alpinum 'Rubrum'
Epimedium x versicolor 'Versicolor'
Epimedium diphyllum 'Roseum'
Epimedium x youngianum 'John Gallagher'

There are some real stunners in his collection that I'd love to have some
day. Some listings I see on the internet show that some varieties can be
grown as far south as Zone 9, but you're in 10, aren't you?

----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Ground Orchid

My turn to plead ignorance, Kitty. I didn't know what an Epimedium was
but I found this page www.home.earthlink.net/~darrellpro/ that has
pictures of any number of species. Very interesting flowers, some quite
stunning. Which ones do you have?

On Saturday, February 14, 2004, at 01:00 PM, Kitty wrote:

Jim, I looked it up and the images I saw of the leaves alone were
enough to
create a desire for the plants. The flowers are beautiful. I just
those little surprises, most of them in spring, when a long-awaited
blooms. I am eager to see my first Epimedium flowers this spring.
And I
hope I don't miss the Bloodroot. It's such a grand surprise when you
the corner and notice that new leaf, or the long-awaited flower spike.

Even though I can't grow much of anything you do, I enjoy it when you
mention these items.  It spurs me on to take a look at something I
never have thought to look up.  Thanks!

Island Jim Southwest Florida Zone 10

Island Jim
Southwest Florida