Stroll in the evening

I just returned from a stroll through the plantation looking for ripe loquats. I have five loquat trees--one named variety and four seedlings [three of these are seedlings of the fourth]. All are loaded with unripe fruit. Last weekend, on St. Valentine's Day, the named variety and one of the seedlings had a few ripe fruit, which the short one and I ate within minutes of finding them.

Alas, none of the other green fruit has become orange since then. But I did notice three things worth reporting. First, the one remaining tangelo [Mineola honeybell] was tree-ripe. So I picked it, peeled it, and ate it. Second as I ate the honeybell, my favorite cat, The Beans, raced to the top of our jacaranda tree, presumably so her barbaric yalp could be heard across the countryside. She remained there, yalping, until I told her to get her silly little butt down. Three, I noticed that the valencia orange tree has, maybe 100 ripe fruits that need to be picked, juiced, and frozen next weekend. And four, the key lime must have 1,000 blooms; I can't deal with half that many limes next year.

Island Jim Southwest Florida Zone 10