Re: Re: OT animal cataracts

Hello, Libby,

Our Golden Retriever has a congenital cataract, just the one eye. When
the dog was 6 mos. old, we talked to 3 vets in the clinic we prefer
about the cataract, and they all said the same: if the cataract isn't
bothering the dog (interfering with his daily life), don't do anything.
Just have it checked regularly to make sure it's not growing. That's
what we did. I don't know if this is the same for cats, but in dogs,
many congenital cataracts do not worsen. In this case, the cataract
never got any larger than it was when he was 6 mos. old, and this year,
after 8&1/2 years, it shrank! It is now more opaque, but covers less of
the eye. The vet says this is typical, and Cider the Golden says it
doesn't bother him a bit.