Re: Battling Bambie

Ah, Rich. There is some sort of cognitive disconnect associated with Bambi. If these were domestic animals--sheep or goats, say--citizens would most certainly hold their shepherds accountable for the destruction they wreak. But because they are feral, they seem to be no one's responsibility and everyone's problem--like rats and gophers, except that, through some peculiar esthetic, they are deemed "cute."

We seem to evolved three genre of animals--tame, feral and dangerous, and feral and cute--which explains why it's okay to shoot a passive rattlesnake in your yard but not a marauding deer.

On Saturday, February 21, 2004, at 08:07 PM, Richard T. Apking wrote:

As much trouble as we all seem to be having with deer, it's truly tempting
to put out a few troughs of poison.
----- Original Message -----
From: <Zemuly@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2004 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Battling Bambie

Marge, I just read your article on the above subject. Thanks for the
of plants Bambi might be less apt to munch. Living on an open acre in a
historic zoning district I have no hope to put up deer fencing; however;
my baby
trees are "encapsulated" in chicken wire tubes, which looks pretty
strange. I
haven't a clue what I'll do as they grow because there are a few dozen
deer that
enjoy dining by moonlight in my yard every night. Lucky for me I do have
fenced in area directly behind my house, and that's where I plant the real
delicacies, i.e. hostas and astilbes. The poor roses, on the other hand,
are kept
pruned. The deer do not like the Chestnut rose or the Rugosas, but they
rosebud salad from all the other varieties I have. One friend of mine, who
lives in the woods, has taken to placing troughs of corn around the
periphery of
her vegetable garden. She says it has been working -- so far.

zone 7
West TN

Island Jim
Southwest Florida