From: Jesse Bell [mailto: jesserenebell@hotmail.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:57:12 -0600
Subject: RE: [CHAT] AA Catalogue

HA! Kitty, I never would have guessed you are a Stevie Ray Vaughn fan.
How <br>funny. My cockatiel's name is &quot;Stevie Ray Bird&quot; named
after the deceased <br>artist. I have every single one of his CD's and
jam to them all the time. <br>Love the blues. But..as they say...you
can't fully appreciate the <br>blues..unless &quot;you done had the
blues your own self&quot;.<br><br>I'll have to look into this catalog
&quot;Kitty&quot; &lt;kmrsy@comcast.net&gt;<br>&gt;Reply-To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>&gt;To:
&lt;gardenchat@hort.net&gt;<br>&gt;Subject: [CHAT] AA
Catalogue<br>&gt;Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:58:05
times. Perennials as well as <br>&gt;woodies.<br>&gt;Their plants are
not small, IMO. Here's what he says in the catalog:<br>&gt;&quot;We try
very hard to ship the best plants we have available., usually
this<br>&gt;translates to the oldest and largest we have on hand, though
occasionally <br>&gt;we<br>&gt;deem a younger plant is healthier and
select that insrtead. Obviously the<br>&gt;same plant ordered in fall
will be larger than it was in spring.&quot;<br>&gt;<br>&gt;The
perennials I've received were usually 4 in pots or quarts. Shrubs
have<br>&gt;been shipped in 1/2 gallon. Perusing his catalog I see he
lists his<br>&gt;conifers in sizes -2.5 in to 3 gallon. Many of his
but they grow many plants that do not survive in Zone
came from <br>&gt;Arrowhead.<br>&gt;This is a huge catalogue for the
discerning buyer. They may or may not <br>&gt;have<br>&gt;certain
ordinairy plants, but if you're looking for say, a Saixifraga,
he<br>&gt;has two and a half pages of them, about 120 varieties. And
something that<br>&gt;just caught my eye, (oh, man, I'

ve just GOT to have this one!) Campanula<br>&gt;punctata hyb 'Stevie
Ray' (I am a huge Stevie Ray Vaughan fan!) <br>&gt;Described<br>&gt;as :
By far, the best of the blues... And, as huge as the catalog is,
he<br>&gt;has more. You just need to ask if he has what you are looking
for.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;The owner is gruff to say the least, but well worth
doing business with,<br>&gt;even if you do have to look up your own
hardiness zones and pictures -<br>&gt;that's what google is for. (he
does have many pics at
-----<br>&gt;From: &quot;Marge Talt&quot;
&lt;mtalt@hort.net&gt;<br>&gt;To:
&lt;gardenchat@hort.net&gt;<br>&gt;Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 1:03
&gt; From: Cersgarden@aol.com<br>&gt; &gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; &gt; Check
Busse Gardens, Cokato, Mn www.bussegardens.com<br>&gt; &gt; &gt;
Ambergate Gardens Chaska, Mn www.ambergategardens.com<br>&gt; &gt;
----------<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; There's also Arrowhead Alpines in
Fowlerville, Michigan<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt;

    http://www.arrowheadalpines.com/<br>&gt;

&gt;<br>&gt; &gt; They have an incredible list of plants. I've not
ordered from them,<br>&gt; &gt; but I regularly mark unreasonable
amounts of plants in their paper<br>&gt; &gt; catalog...one of these
days I will place an order.<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt; Warning...they
send fairly small plants from what I've heard; tho'<br>&gt; &gt;
supposedly healthy and all, but not huge. The other thing is
they<br>&gt; &gt; refuse to put zone designations for the plants as they
don't think<br>&gt; &gt; zone designations are worth squat and expect
people to do some<br>&gt; &gt; research to find out if the plant will
grow in their specific<br>&gt; &gt; climate. However, if they can grow
it, I imagine anybody in z5<br>&gt; &gt; probably can.<br>&gt;
&gt;<br>&gt; &gt; Marge Talt, zone 7

--
---------------<br>&gt;Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund
a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee when you click here.

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com