Re: hum.../hellebores

Well, Gene, patience is always a virtue for gardeners - and one
that's often very hard to come by:-)

I have never seen one change from green to a solid other color
although all of them will fade to green after pollination or the
flowers getting very mature.  Actually, from what I can gather and
have so far observed, all the hybrids go through a series of color
changes as the bloom matures, no matter what their prime color is.
And, I think weather (temperature?) has something to do with
variations in all flower colors, but with hellebores, its more the
aging process of the flower.  The "true" color is rather fleeting
through the life of a bloom.

One of the factoids I have learned about hellebores is that they are
extremely variable plants.  Will McLewin stressed in his lecture at
the NARGS winter study weekend where I heard him speak, that even
wild populations will vary amazingly within isolated groups.  Our
garden hybrids (which used to be called H. orientalis) are now so
cross bred that only the breeder knows what the parentage might be -
and sometimes even the breeder won't know exactly if they started out
with a hybrid from another source.  So, it follows (in my brain) that
our garden hybrids are going to exhibit a good deal of variation
between plants and within one plant.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Gene Bush <genebush@otherside.com>
> Hello Marge,
>     Well, looks as though I need to develop a bit more patience. I
> your experience and will take a better look here at things in the
> Perhaps a second look as well as the first. I know hue and depth of
> can change for year to year depending usually upon temperatures (I
> believe).I have some muddy-rose hellebore out here that is a
different hue
> every spring.... sometimes they are almost clear in color and deep
> with brown highlights. Other times they are simply muddy-rose red.
Have seen