Re: Whoops!

Bonnie, I have used those Parks planters for a couple of years and like them
pretty well.  The old planting flats I had used for a lot of years were
apart, and were messy to fill with soil each year.  The little sponges are
neater, but a bit smaller than I like.  If I let the seedlings get too large,
they are
sometimes difficult to remove because the roots grow out and cling to the
sides of the container - but that's not a real problem.  Another benefit is that
all too many times my cats dig up anything I have jsut planted - I think they
want to see what I may have hidden from them.  I know to watch for this
phenomenon, but with the little sponges, the seedlings have a better
chance of survival if I don't notice what has happened quickly enough.
As for light - I have  standard shop fixture - actually a row of them - with
two neon tubes each over a shelf.  I put the planters on blocks so that
they are about six inches below the lights.  Then I harden the plants off
outside on a shaded porch when the temperatures are in the 50s and 60s.
Good luck with yours. Auralie

In a message dated 02/04/2005 6:11:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,