To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 1:18 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Herb nursery?/silly name

Pam wrote
...Dilly Dilly ... Silly name on that ...

Maybe not, it's from the nursery rhyme, "Lavender's Blue."

"Lavender's blue, dilly dilly.
Lavender's green.
When I am King, dilly dilly,
you shall be Queen."

My childhood book of nursery rhymes had colored reproductions of Rackham's
illustrations. That one had a little boy & girl in a garden. He was
handing
her a posey of lavender. Until I saw it I thought lavender was just the
way
soap smelled. Didn't know it was a plant.
Well, there's another early memory I didn't know I had. Thanks for the
jog,
Pam.