From: Kitty
Sent: 2/7/2005 7:50:26 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] OT dead duck

A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary surgeon.

 As she lay her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and

 listened to the bird's chest. After a moment or two, the vet shook his

 head sadly and said, "I'm so sorry, your pet has passed away."

 The distressed owner wailed, "Are you sure?"

 "Yes, I'm sure. The duck is dead," he replied.

 "How can you be so sure", she protested. "I mean, you haven't done any

 testing on him or anything.   He might just be in a coma or something."

 The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the room. He returned a few

moments later with a black Labrador Retriever.  As the duck's owner looked

on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the

examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom. He then looked at

the vet with sad eyes and shook  his head.

The vet patted the dog and took it out and returned a few moments later

 with a beautiful cat. The cat jumped up on the table and also sniffed the

 bird from its peak to its tail and back again. The cat sat back on its

 haunches, shook its head, meowed softly, jumped down and strolled out of

the room.

 The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm sorry, but as I said, this is

 most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck."  Then the vet turned to

his computer terminal, hit a few keys and produced a bill, which he handed

to the woman.

 The duck's owner, still in shock, took the bill. "$150!" she cried.

 "$150 just to tell me my duck is dead?!!"

 The vet shrugged. "I'm sorry. If you'd taken my word for it, the bill

 would have been $20. But what with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan, it

 all adds up."