From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 4:45 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] incomplete catalogs

Not sure.  But I think it might just happen much the same way the Internet
has. Ten years ago most people wouldn't think of ordering things over the
internet, but now that they see how easy and convenient it is, every year
more business is done that way.  There has to be incentive and convenience.
It could start with something like a mailorder nursery owner asking his
customers if they'd like to just get a postcard.  But then he'd have to
monitor that group to see how many purchased.  Also, if a nursery did decide
to do that, they had been have a darned good website.

I can think of 2 nurseries that have done postcards in recent years.  Surry
Gardens and Eastern Plant Specialties, both in Maine.  They never replied on
this method solely, but sent a card for specific reasons.  I think SG's
catalog was delayed at the printer, and EPS has done it as a fall promotion
and sometimes to push early sales on wildflowers because they have to be
shipped early.  I think Sunlight sent one once too.

I think a lot of gardeners would be happy at the thought of saving a few
trees.  But I don't think I'd want to come home to a mailbox with nothing
but bills, a few catalogs would alwasy be nice.

Kitty