Re: head count

Wow- how in all these years did I miss the fact that you are a UC- MG? I should have known, since you are so familiar with California nurseries... Well- always something new to learn!

james singer wrote:

Sure. Why not.

I read the posts in the morning before work. It's part of my morning routine, coincident with a cup of coffee and the NYTimes crossword. This list is a great source of information and experience. It is also user friendly beyond expectations.

Then I read any new posts when I get home from work. Plants are a way of life for me. I worked my way through college in wholesale and retail nurseries in Southern California. I'm a UC-Davis trained Master Gardener. I work now at a large [150 employee] landscape nursery where I write landscape proposals and identify plant twigs and limp flowers for mystified clients. I also maintain the plant descriptions in our database.

Ms Fatma [the real gardener here at the plantation] and I are both plant collectors more than we are gardeners. Living in hardiness zone 10, heat zone 10 our interests are subtropicals and tropicals, including fruit trees. We've finally learned not to bother with stuff that doesn't do well here.

We belong to Marie Selby Botanical Garden in Sarasota and the almost brand new Naples Botanical Garden, and try to get to their events [plant sales, lectures, and so on] with regularity. Five other gardens that we visit only slightly less frequently are the Harry P. Leu Gardens in Orlando, the University of South Florida's botanic garden in Tampa, Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Cape Coral, the Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens in Delray Beach, and the Fruit and Spice Park in Redlands.

Oh yeah, I'm finally learning to graft. My kid brother, who lives near Ojai, California, and I are planning to swap avocado scion wood to try growing each other's favorite alligator pear.