From: Godigarden@cs.com
Sent: 2/20/2005 4:02:53 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] shrubs for damp clay

In a message dated 2/19/2005 8:23:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gardenqueen@academicplanet.com writes:
> I know there are plants that like wet feet (bog plants) - but are there
> shrubs that can take damp clay? Asking for a friend at work whose house
> stands in the lowest area of the property and the clay around the
> foundation stays damp most of the time. Anything he plants will have to
> max out at 4-5 feet. TIA y'all!
I have a book I refer to often "Book of Lists" for New York/Mid-Atlantic
Gardeners. I cross referenced two lists: shrubs that tolerate clay soil  and
shrubs for wet sites. The five shrubs that made both lists are:
Red chokeberry (Aronia arbutifolia)
Bayberry (Myrica pensylvanica)
Goat willow (Salix caprea)
Pussy willow (Salix discolor)