To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 1:40 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] SoCal

We are OK right here, but we got five inches of rain over the last four
days. That's half a year's worth in normal times, and I'm sure those of you
in wetter climates are unimpressed but we are not set up to handle so much
water at once. No foothills nearby are sliding in my area but there are a
lot of roads washed out. During the last storm a baby drowned during rescue
when her mother drove around the signs and got stuck where the water was
raging across the road; you'd think that would make people more cautious but
on the way to work this morning our normal route was closed and there were
several cars going past the barricades (we didn't).
I used to think I would enjoy living somewhere you didn't have to think
about irrigation every time you stuck a plant in the ground but after being
in the house for 4 days watching it rain I've changed my mind. Don't know
how you all stand it back where it snows. The closest I got to gardening all
weekend was ordering seeds. Sheesh.
On the plus side, the wildflower season ought to be good.

Cyndi