Re: Ilex opaca

Well, Chris, I think the wind off the ocean is a bit different from
the wind howling across flat prairie in z5, tho' yours may contain
salt, which poses a totally different set of challenges for plant
life.    Growing any broad leaf evergreen in an open field  is much
different than having other trees/plants around it breaking the wind.

From what I've read, growers (who tend to grow in open fields) find a
certain amount of die back on all the broad leaf hollies every year -
I'm talking about growers in this area and north - they just prune
them and don't worry about it.  But the really bad winter we had was
just too much for Nellie.  Now, I have 3 of those growing in too much
shade on the west border but protected by huge oaks and some Leyland
cypress on their north and west...they came through that same winter
just fine.

So, I agree, siting is important with all broad leaf evergreens IMO
and critically when you get them in an environment where they may not
occur naturally.   I find it important where I am.  Even tho' I live
in the woods, I lost some broad leaf plants when I first planted 30
years ago because the wind whipped around the west side of the house
so fiercely - before I got some large yews to break it.    I still
see winter burn on plants in places I don't expect it to happen;
where I would have thought they had ample protection from wind...just
goes to show.....

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Plant Exchange

> From: Chris@widom-assoc.com
> I don't know about the wind factor, Marge.  Being on the water
qualifies me
> for gardening with wind everyday.  My hollies are grown with the
> of other plants in the landscape, but nothing else. We have zone 6
on LI,
> too and I see all types of hollies in our landscapes and
arboretums.  I