RE: daylilly question

There has been a lot of research and discussion about rust in the daylily
world.  The consensus so far is the those of us with a real winter are
protected as it doesn't survive the cold.  If you happen to buy a plant from
the south that develops rust, you can treat it cosmetically, but the winter
should cure it.  Unfortunately, if you live in a warmer climate, you may
have to start a spray program.  There are claims for organic solutions, but
most of the big grower use a variety of chemicals on a regular basis.

Rust requires an alternate host (Patrinia) to survive in cold climates.  As
much as I love Patrinia, I have removed it as I don't want to tempt fate!

This web page will tell use everything you need to know about rust:
http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/daylily_rust.html.

Chris
Long Island, NY
Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)