Re: ivy

Well, Chris, I'm gonna play devil's advocate here.  Hedera helix gets
a lot of bad press  these days and some of it deservedly because, in
suitable climates, it has escaped and is trying to conquer the world,
but there are hundreds of forms that are not as vigorous (or even
hardy) as the species and MUCH more interesting plants.  I grow
several forms, including the species and I would not plant the plain
species again, but I would hate to be without the others.

Like ALL vines, one has to monitor it.  I don't know of a vine you
can just walk away from and leave to its own devices; most have a
gene for travel and that's what they will do...some more than others,
but it's their nature to move out and cover whatever they encounter.

I have thought that ivy might be the answer for Donna's fence, but
have not mentioned it because I wasn't sure it would do well in such
an exposed location in her climate.  It will winter burn pretty badly
in sunny, windy areas in cold climates - any of it - if it doesn't
totally defoliate.  The nicer forms probably wouldn't make it at all.
 But, where it will grow well, it's great for covering chain link
fences.  Yes, it needs some work to do this - you have to train it -
and not cover the surrounding ground, but once it does cover the
fence, you've got a living hedge instead of a metal mesh...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Plant Exchange

> From: Chris@widom-assoc.com
> Donna,
> It's one of those thugs that you'll hate yourself for planting!
There are
> better alternatives.  IT WILL INVADE YOUR GARDEN!  It keeps growing
even in
> winter!  Please read the links that I posted!
> Consider yourself forewarned!
> Chris
> Long Island, NY
> Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)