Re: Plant ID?

Cyndi, I don't have friends interested in gardening to the same degree either. I give my friends plants to decorate their landscape, but that's their idea of it - decoration. I do have friends within the MG organization that of course get into it more in depth, but I don't have a close relationship with any of them. That's why I value the Chat relationships. I can share with y'all the things that I'm more intense about - the things that might cause my friends and even many MGs I know to roll their eyes. (OK - stop that!)
Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 5:59 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Plant ID?

But you have to admit that the pace of gardening is quite a bit slower than
say, computer games or text messaging or TV. I suspect the majority of
people don't think about gardening until they own their own home. And if
they're already used to - I can't think of the word I want but - having a
short attention span, then it's harder to get used to this slower pace. I
agree there's a lot going on in the garden, but if you're used to results
measured in seconds, then gardening isn't going to give you that instant
gratification.
I don't know about the rest of you, since many of you are in the business
it's likely your friends are gardeners too. You belong to clubs and so
forth. But I don't know anyone in person (excluding y'all) who does what I
do. A few people enjoy their roses, they have a couple tomato plants in the
summer, and that's it. I don't see anything around town that looks like my
yard - there are nice landscapes to be sure but they are things that the
paid-for gardeners can mow & blow. Maybe it's all hidden in back yards...
Anyway I think that as people get older and have more free time they
appreciate the process more.

Cyndi