Re: Hortus III

H3 is a long way from being entirely out of date for my purposes, and is way more reliable for zone-type information than is A2Z, which is really whacked out. But it is seriously out of date in some nomenclature and in recognition of newly created cultivars and hybrids. I use it some--mostly for propagation and place of origin information--but otherwise, it just sits in the shelf.

On Feb 18, 2006, at 2:58 PM, Kitty wrote:

I tend to agree, I use H3 as a backup to my RHS and AHS books. It's
oddly lightweight for its size, must be the paper. It does have some
interesting info not found in other books like the section on
Pelargoniums which helped me differentiate some of them. Other books
tend to just lump them. Only you can decide its value.

--
Kitty
neIN, Zone 5

From: "Christopher P. Lindsey" <lindsey@mallorn.com>
Does anyone on this list actually ever USE their copy of Hortus III? I find
it aggravating and am trying to decide if it's worth hauling another 1000
miles.
Hi Andrea,

I think it's interesting from a historical perspective, but since it
hasn't been changed since 1976 (if I remember correctly) it's sadly
out of date.

The standard used to be Cronquist (published around 1987) and is now
shifting towards the Royal Horticultural Society and their RHS Plant
Finder.

So if you don't have anything else, keep it. If you do, there's no
point unless you want to trace old nomenclature.

Chris

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W