Re: Lotus question

Thanks Noreen, I've never gotten interested in these because of my climate and the fact that I don't water garden. I'm sure these will get big but not ttoo much as we'll only have them one season - this group will not attempt to save them next fall. Just trying to get them what they are asking for.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 6:23 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Lotus question

From what I hear there is a terrestrial plant called Lotus, but it is not a
Nelumbo. That is a bog/water plant. These are often grown in whiskey
barrels. One is definitely enough, they do grow huge. It is a tuber, which is
planted sideways just under the surface of the soil. When dormant, it is easiest
to transplant, but one has to be very careful not to harm the growing tips.
They don't need deep water at all, but definitely need something that will
HOLD water. So the barrel would have to have a liner to keep the soil moist
and at least have some water over the soil.

There are many different varieties, some named, others not....of Lotus.
They come in all different sizes too, some are best suited for barrels and
such...others, like the native varieties, do get very large, and can (and will)
break a container they are in. In many parts of the country they are
considered invasive. They grow wild here in the bayous and waterways, and often cover
large areas. The leaves are large and rounded, and unlike waterlilies
(even tropicals) grow quite high above the water. Lotus are quite spectacular
in bloom....with their blooms being held up high above the leaves.
Interesting aspect of the leaves is that they repel water. Water that hits them beads
up instantly. Quite fun to watch in the rain. The seed pods of the lotus
are quite ornamental. Lotus are easily grown from seed.....but named hybrids
might revert back to the original.

Lotus don't seem to care for extremely cold or extremely hot weather,
especially if in containers.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 2/19/2006 4:31:04 PM Central Standard Time,