Re: Icy here too

6 miles with dogs? You are a brave soul. Sorry you got hurt. I'm familiar with that and dogs. Someone is constantly stepping one me, pawing my face, or running me over. Fortunately, I've only gotten knocked flat once or twice, and one lovely dog bite.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 12:03 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Icy here too

The news made a big deal Friday over our forecasted storm, but it turned out
to be not so much. We did get some rain and even a little bit of snow Sunday
morning. About five minutes worth actually, since I was looking out the
window when it started and then stopped. Another 500 feet of elevation and
it would have been something. But it is cold for here, at 9:30 it's still
only 40F, and it was just a bit over 20F at my house when we left for work.
Saturday I debated with myself over more leaf raking, since it was so cold I
was worried about removing protection for the plants, but went ahead anyway.
It has to be done before the daffodils all start blooming or I won't be able
to get in there at all. I filled up our dumpster again but I finished off
the leaves, whew. I also hacked on a couple of the rosemarys that are trying
to take over, and started the vegetable garden cleanup.
I've done my bay tree major damage. I must have forgotten to water it last
week, or maybe even longer than that. When I went inside the greenhouse
almost every leaf was crispy! I soaked the plant and cut off quite a lot of
it - it needed trimming pretty bad anyway - I hope it will attempt to leaf
out again. I can't believe I didn't water but nonetheless it happened, it
was dry as anything. Sigh.
Monday was a holiday for us and I hadn't decided what to do from my chores
list. Just as well. I went hiking with a friend and my dogs knocked me over
on a steep hill. I have a very pretty set of bruises (fortunately mostly
hidden from public view), a wrenched shoulder, and various other small pains
making themselves known today, but it's not awful. I forgave the dogs. After
I hit the ground they rushed to my side and were very apologetic. Even the
lab stuck to me tho I'd dropped his leash. So we finished the hike, only 6
miles, but I sure didn't feel like doing anything else when I got home.

Cyndi