Re: Donna/trip

That's what it's like after a major hurricane Donna. Although Hugo was not as bad as Katrina, the landscape was damaged many miles inland. It took several years for the wildlife to come back, including the sea birds, and you can still see signs now almost 17 years later if you know where to look.

Glad you got to see some green though and enjoy some warm temps. I'm freezing. LOL! Only 5 days to go!
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 9:52 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Donna/trip

Traffic wasn't bad at all. Made it from Hobby to Galveston in about 45 min
both ways. Noreen, you need to come up here sometime and learn about cold
weather and what traffic jams are really about :)

But back to the trip and gardening thoughts-

One of the ports we stopped in was Cozumel. Having never seen what a
hurricane really does, I was just amazed. I do not think there is a tree (or
what ever palm tree types are called) that was over 7 ft tall. I could only
imagine what the floral of the town did look like. Uprooted trees and
sheared off tops where everywhere. But nature is rebounding, as many are
re-sprouting from the trunks, and you can see the smaller versions beginning
to emerge even in the areas they have not started to clean up, let alone
plant new.

Another interesting item is the how the underwater sand moved. You could see
how it buried the coral, not many big fish were to be seen either. Thoughts
ranged from the larger fish leaving the area or washed away and only the
small fry/eggs embedded in the coral survived this. Or is this normal at
this time of the year?

The pier is not walk able yet with huge chunks missing or so battered.
Appeared they were working on getting a seawall up and not to concerned
about the pier itself yet. (All cruise line boats where tethered out)

Of course construction is everywhere- with many building gutted, some not
quite done yet, to the downtown commercial area is mostly up and running.

Interesting also how ports just a few miles away had no signs of any damage.

It was nice to see green, but somehow, I was expecting to see more plants
flowering ... and am not used to seeing so much military presence.