Re: AMaryllis

Auralie, those sound like Crinums rather than Amaryllis. 'Milk and Wine' lily is an old southern name for Crinum. They get bigger than Amaryllis but look very similar in growth habit. I have two in pots in the basement that I'll be hauling back to Beaufort with me. They came from my best friend's mother in Shreveport, LA.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] AMaryllis

Amaryllis are somewhat hardy. When I was growing up in the
Florida panhandle, my grandmother had an Amaryllis growing
in the ground - she called it a "milk-and-wine-lily" - that came
back every year and was enormous. The bulbs, which
multiplied, would be four or five inches in diameter, and the
flower stalks would be 3 feet high. There were quite a few
freezing days each winter, but the Amaryllis didn't seem to
be bothered. None that I have grown in pots have been
nearly so large. I have read that to rebloom them - which I
have done numerous times - you need two leaves for each
bloom stalk. I don't know this from personal experience -
just something I read somewhere.
Auralie

n a message dated 02/26/2006 8:38:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,