Re: well now

Well, in days of yore [Julian calendar yore] what we now call Ground Hog's Day was February 15--exactly 6 weeks before the vernal equinox. So, if he saw his shadow, spring wouldn't arrive until the equinox. If he didn't see his shadow, the prognosticators said, it meant only 42 more days of winter. This has been cited as an early example of folk humor.