Re: Queen's wreath

On Feb 3, 2007, at 5:20 PM, Zemuly Sanders wrote:
Actually, I kind of like it! We aren't quite as cold as Chicago, only about -1 this morning, with temps in the teens and single digits predicted for this week. Will probably lose a few plants too. Probably some of the small shrubs I put in in the fall. A couple of inches of snow forecast for this evening. But I can look at my orchids - have three phalaenopsis and a Leiliocattleya in bloom now. DH bought me a gardenia and some forced bulbs for our anniversary. I can never keep gardenia alive... darn.

Cathy, z5b, IL

How do you stand it? I can take our cold because I know it won't last that long, but yours is really brutal.
zone 7
West TN
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Queen's wreath

wonderful pick me up Jim.....

Here it is currently 4 with the wind howling
at 37mpg, which translates to minus 18.... yipes!... going down to minus 4 tonight with a high of 2 tomorrow... then minus 10 tomorrow night. I think
they said we are in for a week of this nonsense.

So all this means- start
cutting now... gonna loose allot of plants this winter as they really don't have the protection they need. We usually have a couple inches/ft of snow when this happens. The last snowfall was light and fluffy and blew into the
next county... sigh.

My mother has taken on feeding every bird for miles...
trust me- they are all in our yards... hundreds of them. Bird feeders are filled twice a day and can't keep up... she also has started the 'bird bread' campaign. Local thrift hostess place is doing a great business with me.... they are going thru 8-10 loafs of bread a day.... I really didn't think it was a good idea to give birds bread, but there is no arguing with mother...sigh.