Re: bird report

I don't know that there are more birds this year, but we have lots
of the usuals.  We feed only sunflower hears and suet cakes.  We
go through about 20 lbs of sunflower hearts a week, and the suet
cakes last about two days.  Our usual winter birds are chickadees,
titmice, downy woodpeckers, hairy woodpeckers,  red-belly
woodpeckers, Carolina wrens, white-throat sparrows, doves,
goldfinches, house finches, juncos, cardinals, bluejays and starlings.
Last winter we had a redstart all winter, but he has not reappeared
this year.  In fact there aren't any unusual ones this year, but there
do seem to be a lot of the usuals, especially woodpeckers.
I think the birds suffer from the lack of snow cover in he bitter
cold we have been having.  Maybe this storm that is supposed
to hit us tonight will provide some insulation for both flora and
It's 19 degrees right now and so far no precipitation, but it's
predicted to be pretty bad tonight and tomorrow.  Freezing rain
is predicted, which is the worst possible scenario, but so far
the temperatures are staying below what was predicted, so
maybe the precipitation will be all snow.