Another sunny Monday

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Another sunny Monday
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:36:24 -0800

For a change, the weather was better on the weekend than today. While
it's bright and sunny out there the wind is really blowing and it's only
about 50F. Saturday was much nicer, warmer and only a little windy but
yesterday was colder and overcast. We were sort of hoping for more rain
but nothing.
We checked out the two pregnant ewes and decided to move one of them
into her birthing pen, looked like she was getting close. So of course
the one we didn't move went into labor and gave birth to a single lamb,
plop in the dirt instead of the nice straw-filled shed. It's not the
most energetic lamb we've seen but not looking sick either. We did
assist her in getting to her feet and finding the first drink. She
wasn't inclined to stand up and show off this morning but she was nice
and warm so we're hoping she was up nursing during the night. The first
week we're always convinced something is wrong and they're gonna die,
but nothing ever happens so we're trying to relax.  Now we wait for the
last one to pop.
I put in the onion plants - I am growing Candy and Southern Belle Red
this year. The red ones had mold on the inside of the bunch, but not too
bad, so we'll see how they do. I ordered them from Dixondale Farms; I
was trying to remember if I'd ever ordered from them before but no idea.
If I were organized I'd write all this stuff down where I can find it
the next year. I planted a bed of snow peas. The tomato seedlings are
almost all sprouted and I put in the sweet pepper seeds; I'll start the
hot peppers next week after I do the saltpetre trick on them. At least
that's the plan.
I solved my problem with plugging in multiple heat mats. I needed the
heat mats to come on at night and off during the day and the
configuration of plugs and timers and extension cords was really out of
control. But then I was in the tea garden putting away all the Christmas
lights (yep, they were STILL up, but I gave husband a pass on it - he's
been working on the camper) and I found the timer he uses for all that.
Nice big thing with a built-in setting for turn on at dusk and off at
dawn,  and plenty of room for plugs, wallwarts and all. It's mine now,
bwahahaha, but I'll let him have it back for Christmas next year.
My horses are shedding hair like you wouldn't believe. I've never seen
anything like it, I didn't realize they even HAD that much hair and now
it's coming out by the bucketful, my dogs are nothing compared to this.
I have heard they shed but this is really something to behold. I need to
try the vacuum on them.