Re: Belated Birthday Greetings to Betsy and Maria!

Bonnie, here is the recipe, and I hope this off-topic will be allowed.
I didn't have raspberries, so I folded the contents of a can of cherry
pie filling into the whipped cream, and I was quite pleased with the
results. The meringue always falls for me, unfortunately, but it adds
the tiniest bit of delicate crunch to the cake, so I persist. I might
try adding a bit of cream of tartar to the egg whites and see if
that'll hold them up.

Blitz Torte with raspberries
Cake
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 egg yolks, beaten light
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 tablespoons milk
1 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Topping
5 egg whites
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds

Filling
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
1 to 1 1/2 cups raspberries, fresh or, if frozen, thawed and drained

Cream shortening with 1/2 cup sugar and salt, then beat in egg yolks,
vanilla and milk. Stir in flour and baking powder. Spread mixture in
two round greased 8-inch or 9-inch cake pans.

Beat egg whites with 3/4 cup sugar until stiff. Spread meringue over
batter in pans. Combine cinnamon and sugar, and sprinkle over meringue.
Top with almonds.

Bake cake in a preheated 3500F oven for 30 minutes, or until cake just
begins to pull away from sides of pan. Remove from oven, cool slightly,
and remove cakes from pans to cool completely on a wire rack.

While cake cools, make filling. Using a chilled bowl and chilled
beaters, whip heavy cream until thick. Add sugar, and continue to beat
until stiff. Gently stir in raspberries.

Place one cake layer on a plate. Spread with filling. Top with the
other cake layer. Refrigerate until ready to serve.