Re: catching up

Welcome back.

What OS did you get. I have been fighting vista for about a month now...
almost there with all but one of me 'things' still isn't working.

  RE old printer... did you look on that manufactures website for a download to make it work?

  Donna

Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:
  Hi, guys,
Nearly two weeks ago as I was deeply immersed in a huge
indexing job, my computer broke. In more than 24 years of
computer use, I had never had such a thing happen before.
This time, an internal piece - the heat sink - literally came
off. Thank goodness, it happened late in the evening after I
had finished work and backed everything up. We were able
to get a tech guy out the next morning who was able to get
me back to work on Chet's old machine downstairs. However
he said it would be as expensive to repair the old machine as
to buy a new one - and I'd still have an old machine that would
be susceptible to more problems. Well, to make a long story
somewhat shorter, he has just finished installing the new
computer and I am trying to catch up. I finished the index job
by the deadline, though it was not too easy using Chet's old
machine, and he was quite unhappy to have me commandeer
his machine so that he didn't have access to it. Now in a little
while I must go and buy a new printer - my elderly one will not
work with the new machine.
This one has a flat screen, which takes up a lot less desk
space, but I don't particularly like it's wide arrangement. I
guess I'll get used to it. It's remarkable to me that this new
machine costs less than any of its predecessors, and the first
one I had in 1984 - an IBM XT with 256 k memory and a 10 meg
hard disk cost the most of any.

Now to catch up. Daryl, I'm so sorry about Rascal. It really
hurts to lose any of our dear four-legged friends, but a young
one is especially sad.

Welcome back David. I'm sorry to hear you are no longer in the
hibiscus business, but maybe the new enterprise will work out
better. I had promised myself one of your plants this spring,
since I seem to be losing all but one of my elderly ones. The tree
that fell across the front of the house last summer finished off one,
and deer at one so badly that it has never recovered. I still has
signs of life, but hasn't put out any new growth since I brought it
in last fall. Oh well, it was probably 15 or more years old - I can't
exactly date it, but know it was at least that old.

Chris, I was going to be one of your guinea pigs, but this happened
before I had time to do it. If you're still looking, I'll get to it in a few
days.

The weather here has been generally rainy and neither very cold
or very warm. There were a couple of nights in the teens, and
freezing rain one day but days have generally been in the high 30s
or low 40s. It's raining today and 37 - little snow this morning that
has washed away.
If I've missed anything significant, birthdays, etc., please forgive me.
Having my computer dead has almost been like a death in the family.
I have felt completely out of touch. I could still use Chet's for the
index job, but didn't feel I could spend time on it otherwise, since
he obviously still needed it.
Auralie

48)