Re: catching up

In a message dated 2/4/2008 3:34:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gossiper@sbcglobal.net writes:

What OS did you get. I have been fighting vista for about a month now...
almost there with all but one of me 'things' still isn't working.

I had XP installed.  I have heard too many negatives about the new
system, and my tech guy said it probably wouldn't support the
DOS program I use for indexing.  I had trouble getting it installed
before - the tech who came to install the previous computer had
refused to install it because he said it would wreck the machine.
My IBM guru talked me through it before, but this new guy knew
exactly what was needed, and thought it was wiser to get XP
installed on the new machine just to avoid a problem.  Why do I
use an old DOS program?  This is an IBM internal program that
was never released, but which is about the slickest word processor
I know, and it does things that WORD or WORD PERFECT can't
even think about.

RE old printer... did you look on that manufactures website for a download to
make it work?

Donna, my old computer was on its last legs anyway - probably about 15
years old.  It was a commercial-level HP laserjet, and has served me very
well, but for the past couple of years I have had to use 24 lb. paper to avoid
its pulling several pages at a time.  Also, it had stopped printing envelopes,
which is a real nuisance.  It has printed many miles of paper, and has
worked very hard for me, but it was ready to go.  It really didn't owe me
anything.  I had promised myself a new color printer with the proceeds of
this big indes - just didn't expect a whole new computer.

Donna

48)