Beautiful Weather

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Beautiful Weather
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:22:30 -0800

Here in So Cal we sure had a nice weekend, had to be in the 70s for
sure. After the furnace repair guy left on Friday I pulled out my
loppers and went after the rosebushes. I did just what I'd planned,
gritted my teeth and cut them down at about 2'. Only managed to do four
of them, they are so big I filled up all the available trash cans with
trimmings. I thought about trying to mash it all down more but I already
had a lot of holes in my clothing. At one point I was stuck by so many
thorns I thought I might have to wait for husband to get home and free
me!  However thanks to long sleeves and gloves I got off with only a
couple big scratches. About six more bushes to go, I might get them done
next weekend.  A couple of them still had most of their leaves, but they
weren't really growing. There are small leaf buds starting to appear but
not enough for me to feel bad about chopping them down.
My white-flowered currant, Ribes indecorum, is blooming now. I've had it
about 3 years and haven't seen it bloom before, but it blooms so early I
could have missed it. I certainly have not seen berries although I have
looked so maybe this is the first year it's bloomed. It was covered with
honeybees! There was also at least one hummingbird, guess I should fill
the feeder again. A few crocus I planted in the lawn are blooming too,
but that's it. Grass is growing in the dry garden, I pulled a bit but it
needs work.  Everything needs work, oh well.
Finally ordered some seeds for this year's much smaller veg garden -
finally found out our water rates are going up by about 50% so cutting
back is necessary.  I still have gazillions of tomato seed packages so
didn't order any more, but I didn't have seeds for peppers, peas, or
much lettuce. I'm a little late on getting started but not too bad.
Saturday we did horse stuff - beautiful weather!! - and Sunday I went
hiking in the morning, we saw seedlings for quite a few wildflowers so
we'll probably have something to look at in a month or so.