Re: Weekend past

I didn't used to care much about DST but it really does help me get things down outside. I like getting a few hours outside after work.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 12:05 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Weekend past

I can't wait for daylight savings time. It will be so nice to come home
in the daylight.
I was active all weekend but between riding, hiking, and helping husband
with the latest project not much of it was gardening. I hacked another 3
rosebushes down to about 2' and filled up all the available waste
containers doing it.  Now all of them on the north side of the front
yard are done. Still not much growth showing.     The south side has
another four bushes, but one of them is a huge climber so I can't really
cut it back. I'm hoping to get this chore finished next weekend.  If I
fill up the dumpster before I'm through I am just going to pile the
trimmings off to the side.
As long as I had the loppers out I cut down the rabbitbrush in the dry
garden, that will come back nicely. And I weeded out there just a
little.  After I cut back the rabbitbrush I found a seedling palm behind
it.  I'm debating about moving it somewhere else in the yard.  One
sprouted up a couple years ago in a vacant spot and I just left it, I
figured if it could survive on what little water it gets I would let it
grow. This new one needs to move or get tossed though.
I started the mesquite seeds - I poured boiling water over some, rubbed
some on sandpaper, and tried cracking some with the garlic press. We'll
see what happens. During my hike on Sunday I collected quite a few
manzanita berries, but I've been looking up germination info for them
and it seems pretty iffy. I kind of like the idea of trying fire on them
though. We hiked just over 8 miles this time, didn't see much new growth
on anything to indicate spring is on its way despite the excellent
I was excited to see a couple daffodils blooming. Earlicheer has 3 or 4
blooms open now and one - just one - yellow trumpet daffodil is
blooming. Nothing else is really close.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.