Mesquites are sprouting

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Mesquites are sprouting
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:24:14 -0800

I went into the greenhouse last night and some of my mesquite seeds are
starting to sprout.  I planted 6 pots with 3 seeds each where I
scarified the seeds, and 3 of those have one or more seedlings. I
planted 8 pots where I poured boiling water over the seeds and let them
sit for about a minute, and one of those has a seedling.   If they grow
I'll repot them into 5-gallon containers for the summer and then plant
them along my back fence next year.   The back fence has managed to kill
off at least 80% of everything I've tried to plant so hopefully I'll
have better luck with these, and it's sure cheaper than buying them.
I have quite a few more seeds too, they are devilishly hard to get out
of the pod, so I left the rest of the pods after I'd pried out enough to
start with. Perhaps when I'm watching TV I'll do more. If I plant enough
of them the odds are better that some will survive.

Cyndi